Wednesday, October 19, 2011

31 Days of Virtue: Day 19


I have been reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also. 
2 Timothy 1:5


Although today's verse doesn't speak directly to or about being a virtuous woman, I think it is an important verse that needs to be included in these 31 days of virtue. We see here that Paul recognizes Timothy's mother and grandmother as key role models in his upbringing. His grandmother Lois had sincere faith which was passed on to her daughter Eunice - Timothy's mother - and then it was passed on to Timothy himself. This is where it starts, ladies. With us, with the parents. 


I feel this is true of my mother and grandma. My grandma had a strong and sincere faith which was passed down to my mother. I pray that when I have children and grandchildren, they will be able to say the same of me. 


As parents, we have an important job. God has entrusted these children to us, and we need to raise them up according to His word. I don't understand why people question the wrong actions of their children when the parents never disciplined them in the beginning. The Bible says "He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him." - Proverbs 13:24. We must discipline our children; we must correct them when they are wrong. Yes, we want them to make their own decisions, but we must first teach them what the right decisions are; and the right decisions are those that are in line with God's word and His will. 


Children will make mistakes. And as they grow older, they may even become rebellious. But if we "train a child in the way he should go, when he is old he will not turn from it." (Proverbs 22:6). This is our responsibility. Not only as virtuous women and mothers, but as parents. Together with our husbands, we are to raise our children to live right. 


Archive of 31 Days of Virtue:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com